I am an artist living near Edinburgh, Scotland. I’m also a botanist. My artworks are drawings, mainly of trees, woods, hills and urban scenes – subjects reflecting my interest in physical environments. I identify with the world through physical environments at least as much as through human society, though my drawings have a social element too: they include people, places where people live and things people have made, and of course I do them for people to see. In recent years I’ve shown pictures at Resipole Studios gallery in the west Highlands, and in 2017 I did an art project for the Rahoy Hills Scottish Wildlife Trust nature reserve in the west Highlands. I have also provided illustrations for various publications (see list at bottom of page). Education: BA Hons in Fine Art (Painting), Bath Academy of Art 1980; MPhil in Botany, University of Reading 1991.
Prices, purchases, etc.
Prices for originals and prints are given for each picture in the Galleries section. All prices include postage and packing within the UK. There will be a small additional cost for postage to other countries. Prices for cards are given below.
Originals are mostly unframed (no frame / no mount). A few are framed, so postage and packing is then more of a consideration because the frames include glass. Framed originals are best collected in person but I expect this will not always be possible. I can remove a framed picture from its frame and sell it unframed/unmounted.
Prints (giclée prints, all unframed and unmounted) can be made of any of the images shown on this website. I get them done at a printing studio a few miles away. Prices are for prints the same size as the originals, with an additional white border all the way around. Prints can also be made smaller than the originals, in which case they will cost a bit less.
Cards are printed here at home on my printer. Each card is 14.8 x 10.5 cm in size (A6) and supplied in the usual way: card + envelope inside a transparent plastic bag. They cost £1.80 each if ordering up to four, or £1.60 each if ordering five or more (prices including postage & packing within the UK).
Commissions are welcome. If you’re interested in commissioning me to do a drawing, please get in touch (see Contact page).
Payment for purchases: payment can be made by direct bank transfer or by cheque – please contact me for details (see Contact page). Thank you.
Publications for which I have provided illustrations:
- An Illustrated Guide to British Upland Vegetation (JNCC/Pelagic Publishing, 2004; ISBN 9781784270155
- Exploring Morvern, vol. 1 (Morvern Heritage Society, 2004)
- Plants and Habitats, by Ben Averis (2013; ISBN 9780957608108)
- A Morvern Nature Diary, by Stephen Hardy (Morvern Heritage Society, 2013; ISBN 9780956589330)
- The Rainforests of Britain and Ireland, by Clifton Bain (2015; ISBN 9781910124260)
- The Whisky Dictionary by Iain Hector Ross (Sandstone Press, 2017; ISBN 9781910985922)
- Into Morvern’s Woods by Alasdair Firth (Morvern Community Woodlands, 2017)
- La Garance Voyageuse (a French botanical journal)
- Horses and People (an Australian equestrian magazine)